Vizual Multi Service Group offers a comprehensive range of hygiene and janitorial equipment and pest control for businesses, big and small. Our desire to ensure proper hygiene practises began with the alarming figures around hygiene in the workplace and the lack of knowledge to lessen it.
Can you afford not to take it seriously?
The average person spends 35-40 hours a week in the workplace and interacts with several people. Bacteria is everywhere and roughly 10 million germs live on the desk alone. Therefore, it is important that cleaning procedures are considered and that high-risk areas are identified and targeted.
Maintaining good hygiene practises are essential for alleviating the transfer of germs on desks, kitchen surfaces, keyboards, toilets, sanitary bins and any other area that germs have access to. To limit employees’ contact with germs, multipurpose cleaning is efficient on a variety of surfaces.
“The primary objective of a health and safety policy should be to prevent or reduce work-related accidents and occupational diseases. An appropriate policy could help to avoid the expense, inconvenience, and other consequences of workplace accidents by making sure that employees and other role players know what is expected of them.”
– The South African Labour Guide (Health and Safety Policy)
- A typical South African company with 50 employees loses 150 days a year to infectious diseases that are spread because of sub-standard hand hygiene facilities and practises.
- On average, healthy workers are 56% more productive.
How deep is your clean?
Ablution deep cleaning should be conducted within six weeks of the commencement of the cleaning operation and thereafter as required, but a minimum of quarterly.
a) Toilet bowls & fittings – descale, clean and remove all deposits from internal parts of the fitment to include flushing rim, seat, seat covers, hinges, all traps and cleansing of exterior of cistern.
b) Urinals – descale, clean and remove all deposits from the whole of the face, to include outlet trap, immediate pipework and domed grating trap cover.
c) Washbasins, sinks, taps and miscellaneous units including gullies, open channels, soap dispensers, troughs etc. – descale, clean and remove all deposits from the entire area including splashbacks and underneath. Remove sludge and deposits from waste outlet and waste pipe.
f) Wash with clean, hot water containing cleansing agent, all surfaces and leave dry and smear-free on completion. Dust ceilings all over.
g) Completely clean all internal windows sills, and surrounds.
What is bugging you? Don’t overlook pest control
Pest control is used to manage and eliminate pests. With the latest advancement in chemical technologies, pest control has less risk for businesses, while adding extra protection of your assets, stock, food manufacturing, perishables, and eliminating any pests that carry disease.
Cockroaches, for example, thrive in areas covered in germs and bacteria. When they make contact with food or anything else in your business, they leave bacteria behind. This can result in your employees ingesting these bacteria and that may result in them becoming ill. Other concerns around cockroaches include allergies and asthma caused by the dust from their skeletons and their faeces. While commercial products are available, most cockroaches are resilient to most attempts to eradicate them outside of professional services. (Cockroach Infestations – Why They Are Dangerous by Genie Fletcher)
Amongst other pests, mice can cause damage to your carpeting or upholstery, from urinating to chewing on your property. The most damage caused by mice can be by gnawing on electrical wiring, which can lead to fires. Not only do they damage property, but mice carry numerous diseases, including hantavirus, Lyme disease, salmonella, to name a few.
According to the Department of Health, pests can be controlled by practising good hygiene in the following ways:
- Clean up after meals. Put food scraps in the bin, and wash and dry plates, cups, glasses, cutlery and cooking pots after use.
- Put all rubbish into the bin.
- Wrap all food scraps tightly in paper before putting them in the bin.
- Keep all the benches, cupboards and floors clean and free of food scraps.
- Regularly clean behind stoves, refrigerators and other household appliances.
- Keep food in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Use the toilet properly. Make sure that all urine and faeces goes into the pedestal pan and that the toilet is flushed after use. Toilet paper is the only kind of paper that should be flushed down the toilet.
- Make sure the toilet is clean and the cistern works correctly.
- Make sure that all septic tanks and leach drains are well sealed.
- Make sure that the community rubbish tip is operated correctly with the rubbish being buried regularly.
- Use flyscreens to stop pests entering the house (building) and seal holes around pipes.
Pest control services are the solution to an often very serious problem. Pesticides can be hazardous if not handled correctly. To ensure your safety, leaving your pest control in the hands of experts will assure proper eradication of pests and a safe environment for all employees.
For assistance with all hygiene and pest control needs in the workplace, contact Vizual Multi Service Group.
021 555 0355 or email us at email@example.com